- without any name acknowledged, as that of author, contributor, or the like: an anonymous letter to the editor; an anonymous donation.
- of unknown name; whose name is withheld: an anonymous author.
- lacking individuality, unique character, or distinction: an endless row of drab, anonymous houses.
Origin of anonymous
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for anonymousness
I find a resistance which I did not expect to the anonymousness of the publication.Letters of Samuel Taylor Coleridge, Vol. I (of 2)
Samuel Taylor Coleridge
This train of thought terminated at last in various considerations upon the subject of anonymousness in authorship.Pierre; or The Ambiguities
We may become wise enough and well-managed enough to do without this anonymousness: we may not.Friends in Council
- from or by a person, author, etc, whose name is unknown or withheldan anonymous letter
- having no known name
- lacking individual characteristics; unexceptional
- (often capital) denoting an organization which provides help to applicants who remain anonymousAlcoholics Anonymous
C17: via Late Latin from Greek anōnumos, from an- + onoma name
Word Origin and History for anonymousness
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper