- without any name acknowledged, as that of author, contributor, or the like: an anonymous letter to the editor; an anonymous donation.
- of unknown name; whose name is withheld: an anonymous author.
- lacking individuality, unique character, or distinction: an endless row of drab, anonymous houses.
Origin of anonymous
Related Words for anonymousunidentified, unnamed, undisclosed, nameless, unsigned, incognito, pseudo, pseudonymous, secret, unspecified, X, innominate, unacknowledged, unattested, unavowed, unclaimed, uncredited, undesignated, whatchamacallit
Examples from the Web for anonymous
Contemporary Examples of anonymous
If only Sulzberger had managed to keep a zipped upper lip while leaving the dirty work to anonymous underlings.The Bloodiest Media Coups of 2014
December 22, 2014
I wanted to be anonymous, as some of these people were friends of mine.I Was Gang Raped at a UVA Frat 30 Years Ago, and No One Did Anything
December 16, 2014
Liar "I sometimes wish I could be anonymous and just walk down the street like everybody else."The Beyoncé Manifesto: Quotes on Nihilism and Feminism
December 12, 2014
And an anonymous junior in a fraternity at Emory University feels similarly.Fraternities in a Post-UVA World
December 12, 2014
The return of Stephen Glass, the truth about Anonymous and escaping Jonestown.The Daily Beast’s Best Longreads, Nov 10-16, 2014
November 16, 2014
Historical Examples of anonymous
Except Virgil and this anonymous rhymer, I can recall no verse about cheese.Alarms and Discursions
G. K. Chesterton
I received an anonymous letter, in a hand-writing I did not recognize.Wilfrid Cumbermede
More than probably Lyttleton had been the other anonymous informant.
The two had something written on them--anonymous information, so to speak.
It is not certain now that the anonymous beginning had been a good thing.Mark Twain, A Biography, 1835-1910, Complete
Albert Bigelow Paine
- from or by a person, author, etc, whose name is unknown or withheldan anonymous letter
- having no known name
- lacking individual characteristics; unexceptional
- (often capital) denoting an organization which provides help to applicants who remain anonymousAlcoholics Anonymous