- liable to be asked to give account; responsible: He is answerable to a committee for all his decisions.
- capable of being answered: a question answerable by mail.
- proportionate; correlative (usually followed by to).
- corresponding; suitable (usually followed by to): The amount is not answerable to my needs.
Origin of answerable
Related Words for answerableobliged, accountable, amenable, obligated, liable, bound, chargeable, subject, constrained, compelled
Examples from the Web for answerable
Contemporary Examples of answerable
The nature of the autocracy—that it was only answerable to itself—meant it could not draw its power from the people.Kotkin Biography Reveals Stalin's Evil Pragmatism
November 30, 2014
The unit was, according to Hughes, answerable to Adams, the Belfast commander.Sinn Fein Boss Gerry Adams Wanted This Murder Bust
May 1, 2014
And yet for an agency that supposedly is answerable to no one, its people sure do testify a lot before Congress.‘Unaccountable’ CFPB Makes 14 Appearances Before Congress in a Year
February 15, 2012
Choice B: New bankers appointed by and answerable to the president.Nationalization Now
February 5, 2009
Historical Examples of answerable
I am not answerable for offences which have their origin in the eyes of the multitude.Philothea
Lydia Maria Child
Your father takes it upon himself to be answerable for all consequences.Clarissa, Volume 1 (of 9)
"If my father has been guilty, that man is answerable for his guilt," she thought perpetually.Henry Dunbar
M. E. Braddon
For almost all faults of this kind the public are answerable, not the painter.Modern Painters Volume I (of V)
My inferences are my own, but I shall be answerable for the facts.The Captain of the Pole-Star and Other Tales
Arthur Conan Doyle
- (postpositive; foll by for or to) responsible or accountableanswerable for someone's safety; answerable to one's boss
- able to be answered