- resembling humans.
- belonging or pertaining to the primate suborder Anthropoidea, characterized by a relatively flat face, dry nose, small immobile ears, and forward-facing eyes, comprising humans, apes, Old World monkeys, and New World monkeys.Compare prosimian.
Origin of anthropoid
Related Words for anthropoidprimate, humanoid, monkey, gibbon, orang, chimpanzee, gorilla, orangutan
Examples from the Web for anthropoid
Contemporary Examples of anthropoid
This left them, in the end, with “rhinoceros” and “anthropoid.”
They summoned Mr. Rizzo and desired him to spell the word “anthropoid.”
In and among the rest he inserted the words “rhinoceros” and “anthropoid.”
Historical Examples of anthropoid
The human race, collectively, exclusive of the anthropoid poets.The Devil's Dictionary
In the anthropoid ape we already find the family, but not the clan.The Sexual Question
A white foam dripped from the chattering lips of the anthropoid.
Bentley rose and looked down at the anthropoid for several seconds.
From these last, anthropoid apes and man have, he believes, been evolved.Evolution in Modern Thought
- resembling man
- resembling an ape; apelike
- of or relating to the suborder Anthropoidea
- any primate of the suborder Anthropoidea, including monkeys, apes, and manCompare prosimian
- Resembling human beings in structure and form.
- Of or belonging to the family of great apes including the gorilla, chimpanzee, and orangutan.
- Resembling or characteristic of an ape; apelike.