- (sometimes initial capital letter) a religious movement characterized by a strict belief in the literal interpretation of religious texts, especially within American Protestantism and Islam.
- the beliefs held by those in this movement.
- strict adherence to any set of basic ideas or principles: the fundamentalism of the extreme conservatives.
Origin of fundamentalism
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- Christianity (esp among certain Protestant sects) the belief that every word of the Bible is divinely inspired and therefore true
- Islam a movement favouring strict observance of the teachings of the Koran and Islamic law
- strict adherence to the fundamental principles of any set of beliefs
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.