- unwilling or unable to associate in a normal or friendly way with other people: He's not antisocial, just shy.
- antagonistic, hostile, or unfriendly toward others; menacing; threatening: an antisocial act.
- opposed or detrimental to social order or the principles on which society is constituted: antisocial behavior.
- Psychiatry. of or relating to a pattern of behavior in which social norms and the rights of others are persistently violated.
- a person exhibiting antisocial traits.
Origin of antisocial
Synonyms for antisocialSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Antonyms for antisocial
Related Words for anti-sociallonely, lone, singular, aloof, antisocial, reticent, dour, laconic, boorish, insensitive, rude, impolite, indiscreet, reckless, combative, antagonistic, chilly, inhospitable, hateful, unfavorable
Examples from the Web for anti-social
Contemporary Examples of anti-social
From my National Post column: when anti-social behavior masquerades as "free speech".The Assassin's Gun: Internet Liberty Gone Way Too Far
May 11, 2013
This quote is supposed to confirm Thatcher as an anti-social radical individualist of the Ayn Rand distemper.Context for Margaret Thatcher's 'There is No Such Thing as Society' Remarks
April 8, 2013
The brother was an anti-social, self-mythologizing would-be rock star.Our Favorite Books of 2012: Tina Brown, Andrew Sullivan, and Others’ Picks
The Daily Beast
December 11, 2012
Historical Examples of anti-social
That would have been anti-social egoism; we called it "showing off."Alarms and Discursions
G. K. Chesterton
Really, chevalier, this maxim of yours is anti-social; you must play.The Memoires of Casanova, Complete
Jacques Casanova de Seingalt
These societies profess the most irreligious and anti-social doctrines.Public School Education
What, then it may be asked, are the causes that produce this anti-social being?A Plea for the Criminal
James Leslie Allan Kayll
The State is to sanction the number of births; all others are immoral, because anti-social.British Socialism
J. Ellis Barker
- avoiding the company of other people; unsociable
- contrary or injurious to the interests of society in general
Word Origin and History for anti-social
- Behaving in a manner that violates the social or legal norms of society.