- defective development or congenital absence of a limb, organ, or other body part.
Origin of aplasia
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- pathol congenital absence or abnormal development of an organ or part
Word Origin for aplasia
C19: New Latin, from a- 1 + -plasia, from Greek plassein to form
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Congenital absence of an organ or tissue.
- Incomplete, retarded, or defective development of an organ or tissue.
- Cessation of the usual regenerative process in an organ or tissue.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.