- the ancient Greek and Roman god of light, healing, music, poetry, prophecy, and manly beauty; the son of Leto and brother of Artemis.
- a very handsome young man.
- Aerospace. one of a series of U.S. spacecraft designed to carry astronauts to the moon and back.
Related Words for apollovision, looker, enchanter, ornament, eyeful, stunner, charmer, dream, Adonis, beaut, Venus, Apollo, dreamboat, good-looker
Examples from the Web for apollo
Contemporary Examples of apollo
Well talking about big movies, you've been cast to play Apollo Creed's grandson in a new Rocky franchise installment.Michael B. Jordan: Playing a Black Superhero in 'Fantastic Four' Is a 'Huge Responsibility'
September 28, 2014
As the former CEO of Apollo Group, a large education holding company, Edelstein is helping Rwanda with its higher education.The American Elite Embraces a New Africa at D.C. Summit
August 6, 2014
Supporters of conspiracy peddler Alex Jones are FURIOUS that I dared to note his dismissal of the Apollo 11 mission.Dear Moon Landing Deniers: Sorry I Called You Moon Landing Deniers
July 29, 2014
This is the 45th anniversary of the Apollo moon landings, a feat of rocketry that the Russians have never matched.Russia’s Missiles Stung the World Long Before MH17
July 20, 2014
The midseason finale of Mad Men, titled “Waterloo,” opened with Apollo 11 taking off toward the moon.Mad Men’s Game-Changing Midseason Finale, “Waterloo”: One Door Closes, Another Opens
May 26, 2014
Historical Examples of apollo
And when he came upon Apollo striking his lyre, his heart leaped into his mouth.
It was twined of Olympic olive leaves and Apollo's own laurel.
Apollo, smiling, watched him and saw his thousand blessings.
Apollo was there, but broken and buried in earth with the other people of the pediments.
The play is founded on the old classical story of Apollo and Daphne.English Villages
P. H. Ditchfield
- a strikingly handsome youth
- a handsome Eurasian mountain butterfly, Parnassius apollo, with palish wings and prominent red ocelli
- classical myth the god of light, poetry, music, healing, and prophecy: son of Zeus and Leto
- any of a series of manned US spacecraft designed to explore the moon and surrounding space. Apollo 11 made the first moon landing in July 1969
Word Origin and History for apollo
Olympian deity, god of music, poetry, medicine, etc., later identified with Helios, the sun god; the name is a Latin form of Greek Apollon, said to be perhaps related to an obsolete Greek verb meaning "to drive away" (evil, etc.) [Klein, citing Usener].
The Greek and Roman god of poetry, prophecy, medicine, and light. Apollo represents all aspects of civilization and order. He was worshiped at the Delphic oracle, where a priestess gave forth his predictions. Zeus was his father, and Artemis was his sister. He is sometimes identified with Hyperion, the Titan he succeeded.