- resembling a spider's web.
- of or belonging to the arachnids.
- Anatomy. of or relating to the arachnoid membrane.
- Botany. formed of or covered with long, delicate hairs or fibers.
- an arachnid.
- Anatomy. the serous membrane forming the middle of the three coverings of the brain and spinal cord.
Origin of arachnoid
Examples from the Web for arachnoid
Historical Examples of arachnoid
Cobwebby, same as arachnoid; bearing hairs like cobwebs or gossamer.The Elements of Botany
The arachnoid is a thin membrane which lies beneath the dura mater.A Practical Physiology
Albert F. Blaisdell
All the ventricles of the brain were dilated with serum, and there was a good deal of effusion into the arachnoid and pia mater.
In Cortinarius, the veil is composed of arachnoid threads, and the spores are rusty.Fungi: Their Nature and Uses
Mordecai Cubitt Cooke
When traced through the dura mater they are found to spring from the arachnoid.
- of or relating to the middle of the three meninges
- botany consisting of or covered with soft fine hairs or fibres
- of or relating to the arachnids
- Resembling a cobweb. Used of the arachnoid membrane covering the brain and spinal cord.
- The delicate membrane that encloses the spinal cord and brain and lies between the pia mater and dura mater.