- Also Araks. Ancient Araxes. a river in SW Asia, flowing from E Turkey along part of the boundary between NW Iran and Armenia and Azerbaijan into the Kura River. About 660 miles (1065 km) long.
- Classical Mythology. the first king of Phliasia.
- the Altar, a southern constellation between Triangulum Australe and Scorpius.
Origin of Ara
amicus usque ad aras
- a friend to the last degree.
Examples from the Web for aras
Historical Examples of aras
Describes, among other birds, the Aras and Parrots of the island of Martinique.Extinct Birds
In the tract between the Kur and Aras, on the other hand, there is no sign of the early existence of any formidable power.
In the valley of the Aras, and in the western and southern districts, the climate is more moderate.
In Lucretius v. 1202, "aras sanguine multo spargere quadrupedum," the context shows that the ritual alluded to is not old Roman.The Religious Experience of the Roman People
W. Warde Fowler
They have feathered cheeks like Parakeets, and their size is intermediate between them and the Aras.Reptiles and Birds
- a river rising in mountains in E Turkey and flowing east to the Caspian Sea: forms part of the E border of Turkey and the N border of Iran. Length: about 1100 km (660 miles)Ancient name: Araxes Russian name: Araks
- a constellation in the S hemisphere near Scorpius
Word Origin for Ara
- Associate of the Royal Academy