- Usually archives. documents or records relating to the activities, business dealings, etc., of a person, family, corporation, association, community, or nation.
- archives, a place where public records or other historical documents are kept.
- any extensive record or collection of data: The encyclopedia is an archive of world history. The experience was sealed in the archive of her memory.
- Digital Technology.
- a long-term storage device, as a disk or magnetic tape, or a computer directory or folder that contains copies of files for backup or future reference.
- a collection of digital data stored in this way.
- a computer file containing one or more compressed files.
- a collection of information permanently stored on the Internet: The magazine has its entire archive online, from 1923 to the present.
- to place or store in an archive: to vote on archiving the city's historic documents.
- Digital Technology. to compress (computer files) and store them in a single file.
Origin of archive
Examples from the Web for archive
Contemporary Examples of archive
What was not so well known was that there also existed an archive of color images from the war, the result of then new technology.The Best Coffee Table Books of 2014
December 13, 2014
Like Hughes, Price was interviewed for the Boston College archive, but she kept silent about McConville.Sinn Fein Boss Gerry Adams Wanted This Murder Bust
May 1, 2014
And, he combed through his own archive in order to display the most representative pieces of his work.What Drives Fashion Designer Dries Van Noten
March 4, 2014
We worked with Halston and were given access to their archive and found several pieces that really helped set the tone for Sydney.The ‘American Hustle’ Style Guide
February 14, 2014
They were then shipped to Archive laboratories in Maryland where mold was removed and rips mended.Saddam’s Jewish Treasures
February 8, 2014
Historical Examples of archive
The Internet archive edition is a 1872 edition whereas this is a 1867 edition.Chips From A German Workshop - Volume I
Friedrich Max Mller
Note that the copy at the Internet archive lacks pages 174–175.Samboe; or, The African Boy
Mary Ann Hedge
Such Missive, such two Missives (not now found in any archive) speed to England by express; may the winds be favorable.History Of Friedrich II. of Prussia, Vol. VI. (of XXI.)
I arrived at the Stadhuis as the others took their first look at the oak in the Archive Room.The Chauffeur and the Chaperon
C. N. Williamson
She came rushing out of the archive laden with precious records up to her chin.The Brain
- a collection of records of or about an institution, family, etc
- a place where such records are kept
- computing data transferred to a tape or disk for long-term storage rather than frequent use
- to store (documents, data, etc) in an archive or other repository
Word Origin for archive
Word Origin and History for archive
1819 (implied in archived), from archives. Related: Archiving.