- free from deceit, cunning, or craftiness; ingenuous: an artless child.
- not artificial; natural; simple; uncontrived: artless beauty; artless charm.
- lacking art, knowledge, or skill.
- poorly made; inartistic; clumsy; crude: an artless translation.
Origin of artless
Synonyms for artlessSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Antonyms for artless
Related Words for artlessingenuous, direct, genuine, guileless, honest, innocent, naive, natural, open, plain, pure, sincere, straight, straightforward, unadorned, unaffected, unpretentious, unsophisticated, true, uncontrived
Examples from the Web for artless
Contemporary Examples of artless
Closest as in “closest to her heart,” or something clutched, or something unvarnished, artless, some plain truth?Three Cheers for Alice Munro’s Nobel Prize in Literature
October 10, 2013
Relevant backstory is condensed into a few lines of artless dialogue.Ashton Kutcher’s ‘Jobs’ Is Actually Not That Bad
August 16, 2013
It was spoken as if by a condemned man: largely devoid of emotion, implausible, halting, artless, and sad.Four Exes on Tiger
February 19, 2010
Historical Examples of artless
Milza endeavoured, in her own artless way, to soothe the distress her words had excited.Philothea
Lydia Maria Child
Flora, who had been spoiled and artless long ago, was determined to be spoiled and artless now.Little Dorrit
Some of the inscriptions were so artless as to provoke a smile.The Three Cities Trilogy, Complete
"I thought you knowed everything, father," said the artless boy.A Tale of Two Cities
Edwin had received from nature the gift of an honest and artless eloquence.Imogen
- free from deceit, guile, or artfulness; ingenuousan artless remark
- natural, without artifice; unpretentiousartless elegance
- without art or skill