- the principles or methods governing any craft or branch of learning: the art of baking; the art of selling.
- the craft, trade, or profession using these principles or methods.
Words nearby art
Origin of art1
Definition for arts (2 of 2)
Examples from the Web for arts
“I never felt that culture and the arts were separate from politics,” he says.DJ Spooky Wants You To Question Everything You Know About Music, Technology, and Philosophy|Oliver Jones|December 27, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Its reporting and commentary on politics, society, and arts and letters have nurtured a broad liberal spirit in our national life.Facebook Prince Purges The New Republic: Inside the Destruction of a 100-Year-Old Magazine|Lloyd Grove|December 5, 2014|DAILY BEAST
The Metropolitan Opera is the old-school Cadillac of arts institutions.
He was wealthy, a member of New York City society, and a patron of the arts.
At the age of three Taylor picked up an interest in the arts, which evolved into a passion for painting with mixed media.New York Fashion Week's Teen Sensation: Isabella Rose Taylor, 13, Stages A Sartorial Revolution|Justin Jones|September 6, 2014|DAILY BEAST
The arts in general are carried among these people to a greater degree of perfection than by the other natives of Sumatra.The History of Sumatra|William Marsden
First, the arts dealing with form, where its necessity is evident.Essay on the Creative Imagination|Th. Ribot
Mother-of-pearl used in the arts is sold by the ton, from $50 to $700 being average prices.
Even to music, the most persuasive of the arts, it was deaf.Young Lives|Richard Le Gallienne
Kids can participate in a program of sports, hulas, arts and crafts.Oahu Traveler's guide|Bill Gleasner
British Dictionary definitions for arts (1 of 4)
- the arts imaginative, creative, and nonscientific branches of knowledge considered collectively, esp as studied academically
- (as modifier)an arts degree
British Dictionary definitions for arts (2 of 4)
- the creation of works of beauty or other special significance
- (as modifier)an art movement
- any field using the techniques of art to display artistic qualitiesadvertising art
- (as modifier)an art film
Word Origin for art
British Dictionary definitions for arts (3 of 4)
Word Origin for art
British Dictionary definitions for arts (4 of 4)
Idioms and Phrases with arts
see fine art; state of the art.