- a person who assists or gives aid and support; helper.
- a person who is subordinate to another in rank, function, etc.; one holding a secondary rank in an office or post: He was assistant to the office manager.
- something that aids and supplements another.
- a faculty member of a college or university who ranks below an instructor and whose responsibilities usually include grading papers, supervising laboratories, and assisting in teaching.
- assisting; helpful.
- serving in an immediately subordinate position; of secondary rank: an assistant coach.
Origin of assistant
SynonymsSee more synonyms for assistant on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for assistant
Thankfully, his assistant knows these roads like the back of his hand.The Photographer Who Gave Up Manhattan for Marrakech
January 6, 2015
The assistant manager at the A&F store had found Elauf qualified for the position and was apparently going to hire her.Muslims & Jews Unite vs. Abercrombie & Fitch
December 16, 2014
The pair had argued, and the assistant ceased performing this most onerous of duties.A Million Ways to Die in Prison
December 8, 2014
He grew his talent as an assistant to Penn and Richard Avedon.From Fashion Player to Photographer Monk
December 3, 2014
Robert Kennedy and his Assistant Attorney General Burke Marshall brought new energy to the Civil Rights Division.Honoring The Late John Doar, A Nearly Forgotten Hero Of The Civil Rights Era
November 15, 2014
The assistant said I needed him, but, to the best of my recollection, he kneaded me.
He helped me secure the position of assistant in English, and here I am.Grace Harlowe's Return to Overton Campus
Jessie Graham Flower
The day assistant happened on the report, and was quite scandalized.
The night assistant, who dreamed sometimes of fire, stood nervously by.
The night assistant sent coffee down to them, and they drank it.
- a person who assists, esp in a subordinate position
- (as modifier)assistant manager
- See shop assistant
- archaic helpful or useful as an aid
Word Origin and History for assistant
mid-15c., assistent "one who helps or aids another," from Middle French assistent, adjective and noun, properly present participle of assister (see assist (v.)).
mid-15c., "helpful, of assistance," from Middle French assistent (see assistant (n.)).