- having an unsymmetrical arrangement of atoms in a molecule.
- noting a carbon atom bonded to four different atoms or groups.
- (of a polymer) noting an atom or group that is within a polymer chain and is bonded to two different atoms or groups that are external to the chain.
Related formsa·sym·met·ri·cal·ly, adverb
Examples from the Web for asymmetric
This is an ultimatum seeking a target in the disorienting matrix of asymmetric warfare.The History and Logic of Military Ultimatums, From Suez to Crimea|Jacob Siegel|March 4, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Like Wallace, Bruce was an underdog; unlike Wallace he won, proving himself a master of asymmetric warfare.Embracing 'Braveheart,' GOP Pols Seem Infatuated With Martyrdom|Alex Massie|December 21, 2011|DAILY BEAST
Hence, all the possible compounds indicated by the presence of the asymmetric carbon have been found and identified.
Similarly, for a ketohexose, which contains three asymmetric carbon atoms, there are eight possible arrangements.
This is usually attributed to the presence of an irregular astigmatism situated near the asymmetric meridian.Schweigger on Squint|C. Schweigger
What in the name of all the Csars does an asymmetric atom of carbon mean?Katharine Frensham|Beatrice Harraden
I was trying to fit the shovel in and I remember saying that is too asymmetric.Warren Commission (9 of 26): Hearings Vol. IX (of 15)|The President's Commission on the Assassination of President Kennedy
British Dictionary definitions for asymmetric
- (of a molecule) having its atoms and radicals arranged unsymmetrically
- (of a carbon atom) attached to four different atoms or radicals so that stereoisomerism results
- involving chiral moleculesasymmetric synthesis