- having an unsymmetrical arrangement of atoms in a molecule.
- noting a carbon atom bonded to four different atoms or groups.
- (of a polymer) noting an atom or group that is within a polymer chain and is bonded to two different atoms or groups that are external to the chain.
IS YOUR VOCABULARY AS STRONG AS A HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT? TRY THIS QUIZ TO SEE!
OTHER WORDS FROM asymmetrica·sym·met·ri·cal·ly, adverb
Words nearby asymmetric
Example sentences from the Web for asymmetric
This is an ultimatum seeking a target in the disorienting matrix of asymmetric warfare.The History and Logic of Military Ultimatums, From Suez to Crimea|Jacob Siegel|March 4, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Like Wallace, Bruce was an underdog; unlike Wallace he won, proving himself a master of asymmetric warfare.Embracing 'Braveheart,' GOP Pols Seem Infatuated With Martyrdom|Alex Massie|December 21, 2011|DAILY BEAST
Hence, all the possible compounds indicated by the presence of the asymmetric carbon have been found and identified.
Similarly, for a ketohexose, which contains three asymmetric carbon atoms, there are eight possible arrangements.
This is usually attributed to the presence of an irregular astigmatism situated near the asymmetric meridian.Schweigger on Squint|C. Schweigger
What in the name of all the Csars does an asymmetric atom of carbon mean?Katharine Frensham|Beatrice Harraden
I was trying to fit the shovel in and I remember saying that is too asymmetric.Warren Commission (9 of 26): Hearings Vol. IX (of 15)|The President's Commission on the Assassination of President Kennedy
British Dictionary definitions for asymmetric
- (of a molecule) having its atoms and radicals arranged unsymmetrically
- (of a carbon atom) attached to four different atoms or radicals so that stereoisomerism results
- involving chiral moleculesasymmetric synthesis