- noting two points in a plane such that the line segment joining the points is bisected by an axis: Points (1, 1) and (1, −1) are symmetrical with respect to the x-axis.
- noting a set consisting of pairs of points having this relation with respect to the same axis.
- noting two points in a plane such that the line segment joining the points is bisected by a point or center: The points (1, 1) and (−1, −1) are symmetrical with respect to (0, 0).
- noting a set consisting of pairs of points having this relation with respect to the same center.
- noting a square matrix that is equal to its transpose.
- noting a dyad or dyadic that is equal to its conjugate.
- noting a relation in which one element in relation to a second implies the second in relation to the first.
- divisible into two similar parts by more than one plane passing through the center; actinomorphic.
- (of a flower) having the same number of parts in each whorl.
- having a structure that exhibits a regular repeated pattern of the component parts.
- noting a benzene derivative in which three substitutions have occurred at alternate carbon atoms.
Words nearby symmetrical
OTHER WORDS FROM symmetrical
Examples from the Web for symmetrical
It takes Sharp four hours to get into character: “I take joy in the mathematical, symmetrical precision and perfectness of Bach.”
It has the swooping, symmetrical grace of a bird's wingspan.The World's Most Beautiful Boat—Yours for Half a Billion Dollars|Tim Teeman|October 19, 2014|DAILY BEAST
This means closely examining photos for sought-after traits like height and a symmetrical face.
Yes, Israel has nukes, and that technology has made Israel safe from symmetrical attack.Memo to Bibi Netanyahu: It’s Time to Build an Arsenal of Awe|Lloyd Green|December 2, 2013|DAILY BEAST
All of them are beautiful and sexy by agreed standards (fit, slender yet shapely, big eyes, symmetrical features).
The curve is symmetrical about the axis of y and has the axis of x for its asymptote.
They differ from the barnacles in having a symmetrical shell, and being destitute of a flexible stalk.
The semblance of balance is marked, also, in those stripes which are not symmetrical.Chincha Plain-weave cloths|Lila M. O'Neale
It is an irregularly cylindrical structure, divided into two lateral, symmetrical halves by fissures.Special Report on Diseases of the Horse|United States Department of Agriculture
The upper part is not symmetrical, but no new decorative element is introduced.Archeological Expedition to Arizona in 1895|Jesse Walter Fewkes
British Dictionary definitions for symmetrical
- (of two points) capable of being joined by a line that is bisected by a given point or bisected perpendicularly by a given line or planethe points ( x, y ) and ( –x, –y ) are symmetrical about the origin
- (of a configuration) having pairs of points that are symmetrical about a given point, line, or planea circle is symmetrical about a diameter
- (of an equation or function of two or more variables) remaining unchanged in form after an interchange of two variablesx + y = z is a symmetrical equation