- noting two points in a plane such that the line segment joining the points is bisected by an axis: Points (1, 1) and (1, −1) are symmetrical with respect to the x-axis.
- noting a set consisting of pairs of points having this relation with respect to the same axis.
- noting two points in a plane such that the line segment joining the points is bisected by a point or center: The points (1, 1) and (−1, −1) are symmetrical with respect to (0, 0).
- noting a set consisting of pairs of points having this relation with respect to the same center.
- noting a square matrix that is equal to its transpose.
- noting a dyad or dyadic that is equal to its conjugate.
- noting a relation in which one element in relation to a second implies the second in relation to the first.
- divisible into two similar parts by more than one plane passing through the center; actinomorphic.
- (of a flower) having the same number of parts in each whorl.
- having a structure that exhibits a regular repeated pattern of the component parts.
- noting a benzene derivative in which three substitutions have occurred at alternate carbon atoms.
SYNONYMS FOR symmetrical
Examples from the Web for symmetrical
It takes Sharp four hours to get into character: “I take joy in the mathematical, symmetrical precision and perfectness of Bach.”
It has the swooping, symmetrical grace of a bird's wingspan.The World's Most Beautiful Boat—Yours for Half a Billion Dollars|Tim Teeman|October 19, 2014|DAILY BEAST
This means closely examining photos for sought-after traits like height and a symmetrical face.
Yes, Israel has nukes, and that technology has made Israel safe from symmetrical attack.Memo to Bibi Netanyahu: It’s Time to Build an Arsenal of Awe|Lloyd Green|December 2, 2013|DAILY BEAST
All of them are beautiful and sexy by agreed standards (fit, slender yet shapely, big eyes, symmetrical features).
The curve is symmetrical about the axis of y and has the axis of x for its asymptote.
They differ from the barnacles in having a symmetrical shell, and being destitute of a flexible stalk.
The semblance of balance is marked, also, in those stripes which are not symmetrical.Chincha Plain-weave cloths|Lila M. O'Neale
It is an irregularly cylindrical structure, divided into two lateral, symmetrical halves by fissures.Special Report on Diseases of the Horse|United States Department of Agriculture
The upper part is not symmetrical, but no new decorative element is introduced.Archeological Expedition to Arizona in 1895|Jesse Walter Fewkes
British Dictionary definitions for symmetrical
- (of two points) capable of being joined by a line that is bisected by a given point or bisected perpendicularly by a given line or planethe points ( x, y ) and ( –x, –y ) are symmetrical about the origin
- (of a configuration) having pairs of points that are symmetrical about a given point, line, or planea circle is symmetrical about a diameter
- (of an equation or function of two or more variables) remaining unchanged in form after an interchange of two variablesx + y = z is a symmetrical equation