HEED THE VOX POPULI, AND TAKE THIS WORD OF THE DAY QUIZ!
Idioms for once
- simultaneously: The children were running, screaming, and throwing things all at once.
- suddenly: All at once the rain came down.
- at the same time; simultaneously: Don't all speak at once.
- immediately; promptly: Tell him to come at once!
Words nearby once
British Dictionary definitions for at once
- suddenly or without warning
Word Origin for once
Idioms and Phrases with at once (1 of 2)
At the same time, as in We can't all fit into the boat at once. [First half of 1200s] Also see at one time, def. 1.
Immediately, as in Mother told the children to come inside at once. [First half of 1500s]
Idioms and Phrases with at once (2 of 2)
In addition to the idioms beginning with once
- once and for all
- once bitten, twice shy
- once in a blue moon
- once in a lifetime
- once in a while
- once over lightly
- once upon a time
- all at once
- at once
- every now and then (once in a while)
- give someone the once-over