- a difference or discrepancy, as between two statements or documents in law that should agree.
- a departure from the cause of action originally stated in the complaint.
Words nearby variance
Idioms for variance
- (of things) in a state of difference or disagreement.
- (of persons) in a state of controversy or dissension: at variance with one's superiors.
Origin of variance
OTHER WORDS FROM variancenon·var·i·ance, nounself-var·i·ance, noun
British Dictionary definitions for at variance
- (often foll by with) (of facts, etc) not in accord; conflicting
- (of persons) in a state of dissension
Medicine definitions for at variance
Idioms and Phrases with at variance
Differing, discrepant; also, in a state of conflict. For example, John's and Mary's answers are at variance means that their answers do not agree, or John was at variance with his in-laws means that he strongly disagreed or quarreled with them. [Early 1500s]