- to make an effort at; try; undertake; seek: to attempt an impossible task; to attempt to walk six miles.
- Archaic. to attack; move against in a hostile manner: to attempt a person's life.
- Archaic. to tempt.
- an effort made to accomplish something: He made an attempt to swim across the lake.
- an attack or assault: an attempt upon the leader's life.
Origin of attempt
Synonyms for attemptSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for attemptedpursue, tackle, seek, solicit, undertake, essay, aim, attack, experiment, venture, push, endeavor, strive
Examples from the Web for attempted
Contemporary Examples of attempted
It was the year that Kim Kardashian attempted to break the Internet with hers.Year of the Butt: How the Booty Changed the World in 2014
December 30, 2014
After he allegedly unloaded on the cops, Brinsley attempted to make a getaway to a nearby subway.Alleged Cop Killer Ismaaiyl Brinsley Had a Death Wish
December 22, 2014
There are legitimate criticisms of the study, but not because it includes “attempted forced kissing,” as Lowry suggested.
More importantly, the “one in five” number does not include “attempted” sexual assaults.
But privately, according to Trierweiler, Hollande slithered back and attempted to rekindle the mortally wounded relationship.Hell Hath No Fury Like Valerie Trierweiler, the French President’s Ex
November 28, 2014
Historical Examples of attempted
Attempted fratricide is not a common happening in gentle families.Viviette
William J. Locke
If he had been strong he would have attempted to break her at once, but he was not strong.Way of the Lawless
This was the first time I ever attempted to escape and gain my freedom.Biography of a Slave
She essayed to introduce Gracie; not one of them attempted a bow.Ester Ried Yet Speaking
Had he been on this side of the water he might have attempted something upon us.The White Company
Arthur Conan Doyle
- to make an effort (to do something) or to achieve (something); try
- to try to surmount (an obstacle)
- to try to climbthey will attempt the north wall of the Eiger
- archaic to attack
- archaic to tempt
- an endeavour to achieve something; effort
- a result of an attempt or endeavour
- an attack, esp with the intention to killan attempt on his life
Word Origin for attempt
1530s, from attempt (v.). Meaning "effort to accomplish something by violence" is from 1580s, especially as an assault on someone's life.