- the style or idiom of Attic Greek occurring in another dialect or language.
- attachment to Athens or to the style, customs, etc., of the Athenians.
- concise and elegant expression, diction, or the like.
Origin of atticism
Related Words for atticismgrandeur, majesty, symmetry, purity, polish, clarity, severity, proportion, elegance, rhythm, objectivity, simplicity, finish, sobriety, formality, refinement, lucidity, class, dignity, propriety
Examples from the Web for atticism
Historical Examples of atticism
His style is pure and simple, and ancient critics praise his “Atticism.”
Atticism: because he is here imitating a well-known passage in Demosthenes's speech against schines.Keightley.
This last has especially charmed me; it is remarkable for grace, delicacy, atticism, and precision.Amiel's Journal
- the idiom or character of the Attic dialect of Ancient Greek, esp in the Hellenistic period
- an elegant, simple, and clear expression