- a city in E Georgia, on the Savannah River.
- a city in and the capital of Maine, in the SW part, on the Kennebec River.
- a female given name.
- a state in the NE United States, on the Atlantic coast. 33,215 sq. mi. (86,027 sq. km). Capital: Augusta. Abbreviation: ME (for use with zip code), Me.
- a historical region and former province in NW France.
- (italics) a U.S. battleship blown up in the harbor of Havana, Cuba, on February 15, 1898: this incident stimulated popular support in the U.S. for the Spanish-American War.
Examples from the Web for augusta
Let me tell you, I felt like Tiger Woods tearing up Augusta that one year long ago.Forget Bipartisan Golf, Obama, and Play Against Me
May 26, 2014
She was born in Augusta, Georgia, and raised in South Carolina.Danielle Brooks, Taystee on ‘Orange Is the New Black,’ Is the Breakout Star of the Year
December 11, 2013
We live on the Augusta Victoria campus on the Mount of Olives.Life After AIPAC's False Dichotomies
September 4, 2013
In reality, this council displays all the diversity of the Augusta National Golf Club.Los Angeles Politics Needs More Women
May 19, 2013
On October 21, 1967, another footnoted Gettysburg date, Eisenhower was on vacation at Augusta National Golf Club.David's Bookclub: Eisenhower in War and Peace
December 23, 2012
Now, there's Augusta Hartong—those mixed-pickle millionaires, you know.The Spenders
Harry Leon Wilson
I thought I heard you finding fault with Augusta when I came in.The Fairchild Family
Mary Martha Sherwood
Peyton, History of Augusta County, 345, where will be found the entire letter.Patrick Henry
Moses Coit Tyler
Do you know, Augusta, that they say he is actually worth two millions?Davenport Dunn, Volume 1 (of 2)
Charles James Lever
Augusta translated the letter for me, and asked for my advice.The Memoires of Casanova, Complete
Jacques Casanova de Seingalt
- a city in the US, in Georgia. Pop: 193 316 (2003 est) (including Richmond)
- a port in S Italy, in E Sicily. Pop: 33 820 (2001)
- a town in the US, in Maine: the state capital; founded (1628) as a trading post; timber industry. Pop: 18 618 (2003 est)
- a state of the northeastern US, on the Atlantic: chiefly hilly, with many lakes, rivers, and forests. Capital: Augusta. Pop: 1 305 728 (2003 est). Area: 86 156 sq km (33 265 sq miles)Abbreviation: Me, (with zip code) ME
Word Origin and History for augusta
fem. proper name, Latin fem. of Augustus.
U.S. state, probably ultimately from French Maine, region in France (named for the river that runs through it, which has a name of Gaulish origin). The name was applied to that part of coastal North America by French explorers.
State in the northeastern United States; northernmost of the New England states. Bordered by Quebec, Canada, to the northwest; New Brunswick, Canada, to the northeast; the Atlantic Ocean to the southeast; and New Hampshire to the west. Its capital is Augusta, and Portland is its largest city.