- reinfection by a pathogen that is already in the body.
- infection caused by transfer of a pathogen from one part of the body to another.
Origin of autoinfection
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- infection by a pathogenic agent already within the body or infection transferred from one part of the body to another
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- Reinfection by microbes or parasitic organisms that are present on or within the body.
- Self-infection by direct contact with a contagious agent, as with parasite eggs in the infectious state transmitted by fingernails.autoreinfection
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.