or awol, A.W.O.L., a.w.o.l.
- away from military duties without permission, but without the intention of deserting.
- a soldier or other military person who is absent from duty without leave.
- go AWOL,
- to depart from military duty without leave.
- to absent oneself without explanation.
Origin of AWOL
Related Words for awolaway, removed, vanished, missing, lost, defector, escapee, criminal, lawbreaker, flight, rescue, disappearance, freedom, departure, liberation, desertion, breakout, withdrawal, outbreak, ghost
Examples from the Web for awol
Contemporary Examples of awol
During a moment of crisis, Mohammed Morsi was AWOL, sending the wrong signal to Americans and Egyptians alike.How Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi Failed
September 13, 2012
- military absent without leave; absent from one's post or duty without official permission but without intending to desert
also a.w.o.l., military initialism for absent without leave. The -o- seems to be there mostly so the initialism can be pronounced as a word. In U.S. military use at least from World War II, popular use by 1960.
see absent without leave.