- an instrument with a bladed head on a handle or helve, used for hewing, cleaving, chopping, etc.
- Jazz Slang. any musical instrument.
- the ax, Informal.
- dismissal from employment: to get the ax.
- expulsion from school.
- rejection by a lover, friend, etc.: His girlfriend gave him the ax.
- any usually summary removal or curtailment.
- to shape or trim with an ax.
- to chop, split, destroy, break open, etc., with an ax: The firemen had to ax the door to reach the fire.
- Informal. to dismiss, restrict, or destroy brutally, as if with an ax: The main office axed those in the field who didn't meet their quota. Congress axed the budget.
- have an ax to grind, to have a personal or selfish motive: His interest may be sincere, but I suspect he has an ax to grind.
Origin of ax
Related Words for axedfire, hatchet, sack, can, discharge, cleaver, poll, tomahawk, chop, cut, fell, hew, boot, bounce, cancel, eliminate, remove, terminate
Examples from the Web for axed
Contemporary Examples of axed
Marlow: I think that season finale episodes are tough, and a few of those threads definitely should have been axed.‘Orange Is the New Black’: Inside the Wild S2 Finale and What’s Next for Season 3
Kevin Fallon, Marlow Stern
July 12, 2014
In fact, he has axed the sub-group of the project that was slated to work on the cognitive level.The Science Community’s Fight Over an Artificial Brain
July 10, 2014
Since May 2010, the public sector has axed 1.125 million jobs.Jobs Report: Don’t Panic Yet—the Numbers Will (Probably) Be Revised Up
April 5, 2013
Fox also axed Dick Morris, who repeatedly predicted that Mitt Romney would beat Obama in an electoral landslide.Roger Ailes Couldn’t Care Less What You Think About His Obama Comments
March 20, 2013
However the breakfast show they were working on has been axed and will be replaced by a show called The Bump.DJ's who Hoaxed Kate Middleton Nurse Keep Jobs
January 28, 2013
Historical Examples of axed
If I had known he felt like that about it I might have axed his consent!The Woman Thou Gavest Me
He couldn't do it, that's all; at least, I'd not be the man that axed her leave!Luttrell Of Arran
Charles James Lever
Anyhow he said so an' axed me ter marry him an' he squeezed my han'.
God heard his prayer 'cause he said he axed God not to let him be sold.
I axed al thet, an' what der ye think she sed, Why jest this. 'Among the Pines
James R. Gilmore
see axe (n.).
In addition to the idiom beginning with ax
- ax to grind
- get the ax