- a native or inhabitant of Azerbaijan.
- a member of an Azerbaijani-speaking people of Azerbaijan and of the Iranian provinces of Azerbaijan.
- the Turkic language of the Azerbaijani, written with Cyrillic letters in Azerbaijan and with Arabic letters in Iran.
Origin of Azerbaijani
1885–90; Azerbaijan + -i suffix of membership
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- plural -ni or -nis a native or inhabitant of AzerbaijanSometimes shortened to: Azeri
- the language of this people, belonging to the Turkic branch of the Altaic family
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012