noun, plural B's or Bs, b's or bs.
Definition for b (2 of 8)
- bar; bars.
- barn; barns.
Definition for b (3 of 8)
Definition for b (4 of 8)
- the seventh tone in the scale of C major or the second tone in the relative minor scale, A minor.
- a string, key, or pipe tuned to this tone.
- a written or printed note representing this tone.
- (in the fixed system of solmization) the seventh tone of the scale of C major, called ti.
- the tonality having B as the tonic note.
Definition for b (5 of 8)
Definition for b (6 of 8)
Definition for b (7 of 8)
Definition for b (8 of 8)
- one of the possible positions of an atom or group in a compound.
- one of two or more isomeric compounds.
Origin of beta
Examples from the Web for b
Soon, though, voices from off camera begin shouting for retribution, not justice, chanting “Burn this b**** down.”Michael Brown’s Stepfather Tells Crowd, ‘Burn This Bitch Down’|Jack Holmes, The Daily Beast Video|November 25, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Born in Connecticut in 1847, he had a long railroad career before coming to the B O in 1896.The Stacks: H.L. Mencken on the 1904 Baltimore Fire|H.L. Mencken|October 4, 2014|DAILY BEAST
With more than a minute cut out of the reruns, syndicated episodes often drop entire relevant-to-the-plot scenes and B stories.A 200-Hour ‘Simpsons’ Marathon? That’s Unpossible!|Rich Goldstein|July 24, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Infectious diseases are (a) infectious and (b) preventable with a simple shot.D.C. Moron Phil Gingrey Spread Ebola Fever Over Immigrants|Kent Sepkowitz|July 15, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Astronomers clearly identified planet candidates “b” and “c,” with “d,” “e,” “f,” and “g” following.
Then suppose A raises offspring in the usual way from eggs, what relation are these young to B?
B fails to construct the masonry work; this exempts A from liability.
A, B, C represent the circuit wires from the terminals of the window and door switches, to the annunciators.Electricity for Boys|J. S. Zerbe
My b'other-in-law's going to make something happen to you in the night.'Somewhere in Red Gap|Harry Leon Wilson
(B) Test the lifting power of the little wire magnet by seeing about how many iron filings its poles will raise.The Study of Elementary Electricity and Magnetism by Experiment|Thomas M. St. John
British Dictionary definitions for b (1 of 8)
British Dictionary definitions for b (2 of 8)
noun plural b's, B's or Bs
British Dictionary definitions for b (3 of 8)
- a note having a frequency of 493.88 hertz (B above middle C) or this value multiplied or divided by any power of 2; the seventh note of the scale of C major
- a key, string, or pipe producing this note
- the major or minor key having this note as its tonic
- a person whose job is in middle management, or who holds an intermediate administrative or professional position
- (as modifier)a B worker See also occupation groupings
British Dictionary definitions for b (4 of 8)
abbreviation for (of US military aircraft)
British Dictionary definitions for b (5 of 8)
British Dictionary definitions for b (6 of 8)
British Dictionary definitions for b (7 of 8)
- involving or relating to electronsbeta emitter
- relating to one of two or more allotropes or crystal structures of a solidbeta iron
- relating to one of two or more isomeric forms of a chemical compound