- no; not.
Origin of baal
- any of numerous local deities among the ancient Semitic peoples, typifying the productive forces of nature and worshiped with much sensuality.
- (sometimes lowercase) a false god.
Origin of Baal
- any of several ancient Semitic fertility gods
- Phoenician myth the sun god and supreme national deity
- (sometimes not capital) any false god or idol
Word Origin for Baal
"The name of many deities of the Semitic peoples" [Klein], late 14c., Biblical use is from Hebrew Ba'al, literally "owner, master, lord," from ba'al "he took possession of," also "he married;" related to Akkadian Belu (source of Hebrew Bel), name of Marduk. Also related to the first element in Beelzebub. Used figuratively for any "false god."