- to make the sound of a sheep; bleat.
- the bleating cry of a sheep.
Origin of baa
Examples from the Web for baas
Historical Examples of baas
Nevertheless, they did it, for they desired to please Baas Cogez.
"Keep your money and the portrait both, Baas Cogez," he said, simply.
Baas Cogez went into his mill-house sore troubled in his mind.
“Baas Joe go die,” said the woman with horrible persistence.
“Jack say Baas Joe go die,” she cried, clapping her legs with her hands.
- a South African word for a boss: often used by Black or Coloured people addressing a White manager or overseer
Word Origin for baas
- (intr) to make the cry of a sheep; bleat
- the cry made by sheep
- the main airports operator in the United Kingdom; until privatization in 1987, an abbreviation for British Airports Authority
Word Origin and History for baas
imitative sound of a sheep, attested from 1580s, but probably older, as baa is recorded before this a name for a child's toy sheep.