adjective, worse, worst; (Slang) bad·der, bad·dest for 36.
- vulgar, obscene, or blasphemous: bad language.
- not properly observing rules or customs of grammar, usage, spelling, etc.; incorrect: He speaks bad English.
THIS WEEK’S WORD OF THE DAY QUIZ IS POSITIVELY FELICIFIC
Idioms for bad
- in trouble or distress.
- in disfavor: He's in bad with his father-in-law.
- tolerably good; not without merit: The dinner wasn't bad, but I've had better.
- not difficult: Once you know geometry, trigonometry isn't bad.
Origin of bad1
synonym study for bad
usage note for bad
When the adverbial use is required, badly is standard with all verbs: She reacted badly to the criticism. Bad as an adverb appears mainly in informal contexts: I didn't do too bad on the tests. He wants money so bad it hurts. See also badly, good.
OTHER WORDS FROM badbad·ness, noun
Words nearby bad
British Dictionary definitions for bad off (1 of 2)
adjective worse or worst
- seriously ill, through sickness or injury
- in trouble of any kind
Derived forms of badbaddish, adjectivebadness, noun
Word Origin for bad
British Dictionary definitions for bad off (2 of 2)
Idioms and Phrases with bad off (1 of 2)
Also, badly off. In unfortunate circumstances, poor. For example, Her husband's death left her bad off, or She had her pension and wasn't too badly off. The first term is colloquial. [Early 1800s] Also see well off.
Idioms and Phrases with bad off (2 of 2)
In addition to the idioms beginning with bad
- bad blood
- bad egg
- bad hair day
- bad luck
- badly off
- bad mouth
- bad name
- bad news
- bad off
- bad sort, a
- bad taste
- bad time
- bad trip
- come to an end (bad end)
- feel bad
- from bad to worse
- get off on the wrong foot (to a bad start)
- give a bad name
- give bad marks to
- go bad
- in a bad mood
- in a bad way
- in bad faith
- in bad with someone
- in someone's bad graces
- leave a bad taste in one's mouth
- make the best of (a bad bargain)
- not a bad sort
- not bad
- poor (bad) taste
- run of (bad) luck
- too bad
- turn up (like a bad penny)
- with bad grace