[bah-luh-neez, -nees, bal-uh-]
- of or relating to Bali, its people, or their language.
- a native or inhabitant of Bali.
- the language of Bali, an Indonesian language of the Austronesian family.
Origin of Balinese
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for balinese
Of the early history of their island the Balinese know nothing.
Returning to the house, we found a Balinese chief and his followers on a visit.The Malay Archipelago
Alfred Russell Wallace
An idea of the Balinese religion may perhaps be given most easily by describing some of the temples.
The Balinese were formerly the ruling class in this island and are still found there in considerable numbers.
Disturbances between the Sasaks and the Lombok Balinese frequently occur.
- of or relating to Bali, its people, or their language
- plural -nese a native or inhabitant of Bali
- the language of the people of Bali, belonging to the Malayo-Polynesian family
- See Balinese cat
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012