- (often initial capital letter) a chicken of any of several varieties or breeds characterized by very small size.
- a small and feisty or quarrelsome person.
- diminutive; tiny: bantam editions of the classics.
Origin of bantam
Synonyms for bantamSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
- a village in W Java, in S Indonesia: first Dutch settlement in the East Indies.
Examples from the Web for bantam
Contemporary Examples of bantam
Lonard thinks ha-ha-ha and tells Bantam that the rights have reverted to him, which they have.
Bantam calls and says, “We must publish Juvenal [original title].”
In another study, “one man reported that he felt compelled to incubate and help hatch out a clutch of bantam chickens.”Will I Get Fat? 15 Signs You'll Gain Weight
November 10, 2011
Reprinted by arrangement with Bantam Books, an imprint of The Random House Publishing Group, a division of Random House, Inc.
Bantam [the eventual paperback publisher] sold six million copies in 20 years.Elie Wiesel's Great Regret
April 19, 2009
Historical Examples of bantam
It clattered unheeded to the floor as the bantam dived for Hilary and Joan.Slaves of Mercury
Babbitt, looking like a triumphantly vicious Bantam rooster, crowed on.Shavings
Joseph C. Lincoln
It was to be the bantam (carried by Natt and owned by his master) against all comers.A Son of Hagar
Sir Hall Caine
By all means (returnd the wealthy King of Bantam;) I had so designd before.The Works of Aphra Behn
Smith was eying the bantam critically when Dicksie rejoined him.Whispering Smith
Frank H. Spearman
- any of various very small breeds of domestic fowl
- a small but aggressive person
- boxing short for bantamweight
- an age level of between 13 and 15 in amateur sport, esp ice hockey
- (as modifier)bantam hockey
Word Origin for bantam
1749, after Bantam, former Dutch residency in Java, from which the small domestic fowl were said to have been first imported. Extension to "small person" is 1837. As a light weight class in boxing, it is attested from 1884, probably from the birds, which are small but aggressive and bred for fighting.