- an aspect of the soul, represented as a human-headed bird.
Origin of ba
vocalization of Egyptian bʾ
- the second letter of the Arabic alphabet.
- Bachelor of Agricultural Science.
- Bachelor of Applied Science.
- down with.
Origin of à bas
literally, downwards, toward (the) lower (part, location); cf. abase
de haut en bas
[duh oh tahn bah]
- from top to bottom; from head to foot.
- in a haughty, disdainful manner; condescendingly.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for bas
The biggest net gains in people with BAs and higher are primarily in the sunbelt, led by Phoenix, Houston, Dallas-Ft.Forget What the Pundits Tell You, Coastal Cities are Old News - it’s the Sunbelt that’s Booming
March 1, 2014
A woman in the mob said 'Pauvre' and somebody else said ' bas!'Terribly Intimate Portraits
"I reckon ye've done heered all I kin tell ye," said Bas, gravely.
Bas Rowlett bent above his pillow, but with a transformed face.
Bas Rowlett seemed surprised, but he made prompt explanation.
In killing Bas Rowlett he would be performing a virtuous act.
- down with!
- Egyptian myth the soul, represented as a bird with a human head
- Bachelor of Arts
- British Academy
- British Airways
- British Association (for the Advancement of Science)
- British Association screw thread
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- The symbol for the elementbarium
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
- The symbol for barium.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.