- a city in Israel, near the N limit of the Negev desert: the southernmost city of ancient Palestine.
- from Dan to Beersheba. Dan1(def 5).
- a partially reclaimed desert region and district in S Israel, bordering on the Sinai Peninsula. 4700 sq. mi. (12,173 sq. km). Capital: Beersheba.
Examples from the Web for beersheba
Historical Examples of beersheba
I pity the man who can travel from Dan to Beersheba and cry, "'T is all barren!"Familiar Quotations
Luckily, Beersheba was not present, or the girl might have had a sorry time of it.
After the exciting events of that evening, even Dan and Beersheba had lost their charm.
I pity the man who can travel from Dan to Beersheba, and cry, ''Tis all barren.'
Journeying from Dan to Beersheba, and pricking through America on his way.Sonia Between two Worlds
- a town in S Israel: commercial centre of the Negev. In biblical times it marked the southern limit of Palestine. Pop: 183 000 (2003 est)
- the S part of Israel, on the Gulf of Aqaba: a triangular-shaped semidesert region, with large areas under irrigation; scene of fighting between Israeli and Egyptian forces in 1948. Chief town: Beersheba. Area: 12 820 sq km (4950 sq miles)