- warlike; given to waging war.
- of warlike character; aggressively hostile; bellicose: a belligerent tone.
- waging war; engaged in war: a peace treaty between belligerent powers.
- pertaining to war or to those engaged in war: belligerent rights.
- a state or nation at war.
- a member of the military forces of such a state.
Origin of belligerent
Synonyms for belligerentSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for belligerentcombative, contentious, hostile, quarrelsome, ornery, bellicose, antagonistic, aggressive, militant, flip, fighting, mean, ardent, cantankerous, fierce, hot, hot-tempered, pugnacious, truculent, warlike
Examples from the Web for belligerent
Contemporary Examples of belligerent
She was belligerent to the police and had a very high blood alcohol reading.Yes, Rick Perry Could End Up Doing Time
August 22, 2014
IDF's Military Advocate General: legality of training is anchored in principles of 'belligerent occupation.'Syrian Baby Born in Israeli Hospital
November 4, 2013
The turning point was probably his angry, belligerent, aggressive and paranoid rant to the nation on June 26.Coup by Acclamation?
July 4, 2013
Reese Witherspoon got arrested for being a belligerent drunk, and it is the best thing that could have ever happened to her.Is Reese Witherspoon’s Drunken Arrest the Best Thing to Happen to Her Career?
May 3, 2013
“Belligerent egghead” has rarely been a winning brand in presidential politics.What Makes Ted Cruz Tick?
April 2, 2013
Historical Examples of belligerent
His automatic was swinging carelessly at the belligerent farmer.Louisiana Lou
William West Winter
"We will not let them take him," interposed a belligerent student.Breaking Away
Hazel, belligerent, demanded: "Are you asking us to resign?"Question of Comfort
Top-lofty and arrogant and belligerent as ever, the Lizorian Prime took the call.The Galaxy Primes
Edward Elmer Smith
Communication by wireless cannot be interrupted by a belligerent.Current History, A Monthly Magazine
New York Times
- marked by readiness to fight or argue; aggressivea belligerent tone
- relating to or engaged in a legally recognized war or warfare
- a person or country engaged in fighting or war