- Benzedrine, especially in tablet form.
- any amphetamine tablet.
Origin of benny1
- JackBenjamin Kubelsky, 1894–1974, U.S. comedian.
- a male given name, form of Benjamin.
- Southern U.S., especially South Carolina, and Bahamian English. the sesame plant or its seeds.
Origin of benne
- Benjamin DavidBenny, 1909–86, U.S. jazz clarinetist and bandleader.
- Bennett LesterBenny, 1907–2003, U.S. jazz saxophonist and composer.
- BettyLillie Mae Jones, 1930–98, U.S. jazz singer.
- Don(ald James),1926–2012, U.S. bowler.
- (Eleanor) Ro·sa·lynn Smith [roh-zuh-lin] /ˈroʊ zə lɪn/, born 1928, U.S. First Lady 1977–81 (wife of Jimmy Carter).
- ElliottElliott Cook Carter, Jr., 1908–2012, U.S. composer.
- Hod·ding [hod-ing] /ˈhɒd ɪŋ/, 1907–72, U.S. journalist and publisher.
- Howard,1873–1939, English Egyptologist.
- James Earl, Jr.Jimmy, born 1924, 39th president of the U.S. 1977–81.
- Mrs. LeslieCaroline Louise Dudley, 1862–1937, U.S. actress.
- May·belle [mey-bel] /ˈmeɪˌbɛl/, Mother Maybelle Carter, 1909–78, U.S. country-and-western singer and guitarist.
- Nick, pen name of authors who wrote detective-story series in which Nick Carter, created by John R. Coryell, is the main character.
- a male given name.
Examples from the Web for benny
Contemporary Examples of benny
The law professor, Benny Tai, urged the students to “retreat and take the spirit of the Umbrella Movement into the community.”The Monuments Men of Occupy Hong Kong
December 4, 2014
Now Benny lifted his head up, slapped his knee, and laughed so hard that he almost tumbled over backward.
Cavett was pointing at Benny and looking into the camera, as if to say to the audience at home: Can you believe this?
How many Benny Hill scenes involved the creepy, portly man zooming about perilously near an unfathomably stacked woman?Women, It's Time to Reclaim Our Breasts
September 9, 2014
He loved the swing music played by big bands, and his heroes included Benny Goodman, Count Basie, and Earl Hines.Jazz (The Music of Coffee and Donuts) Has Respect, But It Needs Love
June 15, 2014
Historical Examples of benny
Nellie was huddled against her mother, who sat, idle, with little Benny in her arms.
In the white moonlight, she and Benny looked as if they had been carved from stone.
Their sickness was the hand of God, but Benny just ain't had enough to eat.
Before the corn was in tassel, he had been laid beside Benny.
Benny came running in, all out of breath, and said you wished to see us at once.The Green Satin Gown
Laura E. Richards
- old-fashioned, slang an amphetamine tablet, esp benzedrine: a stimulant
Word Origin for benny
- US slang a man's overcoat
Word Origin for benny
- Jack, real name Benjamin Kubelsky . 1894–1974, US comedian
- another name for sesame
- benne oil the edible oil obtained from sesame seeds
Word Origin for benne
- Angela. 1940–92, British novelist and writer; her novels include The Magic Toyshop (1967) and Nights at the Circus (1984)
- Elliot (Cook). 1908–2012, US composer. His works include the Piano Sonata (1945–46), four string quartets, and other orchestral pieces: Pulitzer Prize 1960, 1973
- Howard. 1873–1939, English Egyptologist: excavated the tomb of the Pharaoh Tutankhamen
- James Earl, known as Jimmy. born 1924, US Democratic statesman; 39th president of the US (1977–81); Nobel peace prize 2002
- a husband
- a man not of gentle birth: used as a title
- a master of a household
- Benny, full name Benjamin David Goodman. 1909–86, US jazz clarinetist and bandleader, whose treatment of popular songs created the jazz idiom known as swing
"cart-driver," late 12c., from Anglo-French careter, and in part an agent noun from cart (v.).