- a former state in central India: now part of Madhya Pradesh state.
- a city in and the capital of Madhya Pradesh state, in central India.
- a state in central India. 119,016 sq. mi. (308,252 sq. km). Capital: Bhopal.
Examples from the Web for bhopal
Contemporary Examples of bhopal
The next evening, Singh was surprised when his train made an unscheduled stop at a small railway station near Bhopal.As 30-Year Anniversary of Mass Killings in India Arrives, Sikhs Find Safety in USA
Simran Jeet Singh
October 31, 2014
Historical Examples of bhopal
The city of Bhopal, a railway station, had a population in 1901 of 76,561.
When I woke at Bhopal it was only 76° and it only got even as high as 89° for about half-an-hour.Letters from Mesopotamia
The Jaipur troops were much on a par with those of Bhopal and Udaipur.Forty-one years in India
Frederick Sleigh Roberts
Since then Bhopal has been steadily loyal to the British government, and during the Mutiny it rendered good services.
The residence of the political agent and the headquarters of the Bhopal battalion are at Sehore, 20 m. west of Bhopal city.
- a city in central India, the capital of Madhya Pradesh state and of the former state of Bhopal: site of a poisonous gas leak from a US-owned factory, which killed over 7000 people in 1984 and was implicated in a further 15 000 deaths afterwards. Pop: 1 433 875 (2001)
- a state of central India, situated on the Deccan Plateau: rich in mineral resources, with several industrial cities: formerly the largest Indian state, it lost much of the SE to the new state of Chhattisgarh in 2000. Capital: Bhopal. Pop: 60 385 118 (2001). Area: 308 332 sq km (119 016 sq miles)