- the branch of biology that applies the methods of physics to the study of biological structures and processes.
Origin of biophysics
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for biophysics
Experiments in biophysics are conducted in the medical cave.LRL Accelerators
Lawrence Radiation Laboratory
And how long have you been chief of the Biophysics Division?
Yes; his branch is one of the branches of the Biophysics Division.
- (functioning as singular) the physics of biological processes and the application of methods used in physics to biology
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- The study of biological processes using the theories and tools of physics.
- The study of physical processes occurring in living organisms.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
- The scientific study of biological processes in terms of the laws of physics. Phenomena such as echolocation in bats and the stresses and strains in skeletal and muscular structures are analyzed and explained in biophysics.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The study of living things using the techniques of physics.
The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.