- a malicious, unpleasant, selfish person, especially a woman.
- a lewd woman.
- Disparaging and Offensive. any woman.
- a complaint.See also bitch session.
- anything difficult or unpleasant: That test was a real bitch.
- anything memorable, especially something exceptionally good: You threw one bitch of a party last night.
- a man who willingly or unwillingly submits to the will and control of a dominant partner in a sexual relationship, especially with another man, as in prison bitch:Watch out, or your cellmate will make you his prison bitch.
- a gay man who assumes the passive or female role in a sexual relationship.
verb (used without object)
verb (used with object)
FOR LEXICAL ALIMENTATION, TAKE THIS WORD OF THE DAY QUIZ!
Idioms for bitch
Origin of bitch
historical usage of bitch
But language keeps evolving, and bitch can now also be applied to a man, to a complaint, and to any difficult or unpleasant thing or situation. Used as a verb, we can talk about complaining (“bitching and moaning”), or bungling things (“bitching something up”), or riding in an uncomfortable position in a car (“sitting bitch”). When used in any of these ways, it's more slang than vulgarity, more colorful interjection than cause for offense. In fact, bitch has been reclaimed by some women as a self-referential term of empowerment. Nevertheless, care must be taken—there is a big difference between bitching about a woman and calling her a bitch! (Though it's O.K. to call her female dog that.)
popular references for bitch
— The BITCH Manifesto: Classic feminist article (1970) written by Jo Freeman under the pen name Joreen. It reclaimed the word “bitch” as a term of empowerment rather than one of abuse.
— Bitch: A feminist magazine commenting on popular culture and media, founded in 1996.
—Bitch: The stage name of a politically outspoken female rock vocalist/violinist and actress.
— Skinny Bitch: A diet book (2005) written by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin.
— No One's the Bitch: A book (2009), website, and forum that supports mother and stepmother relationships. Started by Jennifer Newcomb Marine and Carol Marine.
—Stitch 'n Bitch: A network of groups of people who knit and crochet.
OTHER WORDS FROM bitchsu·per·bitch, noun
Quotations related to bitch
- "The rogues slighted me into the river with as little remorse as they would have drowned a bitch's blind puppies. "-Falstaff Merry Wives of Windsor, act III, scene V (1602)
- "We're all nervous as a wolf bitch in heat. "-Paul Engle The Last Whiskey Cup The Great American Parade (1935)
- "Bitch: … the most offensive appellation that can be given to an English woman, even more provoking than that of whore, as may be gathered from the regular Billingsgate or St. Giles's answers, ‘I may be a whore, but can't be a bitch.’ "-Francis Grose Classical Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue (1785)
- "The bitch that I mean is not a dog. "-English proverbial saying Gnomologia: Adagies and Proverbs; Wise Sentences and Witty Sayings, Ancient and Modern, Foreign and British (1732)
- "Kind of a Bitch: Why I Like Hillary Clinton "-Camille Paglia Vamps & Tramps: New Essays (1995)
- "What a bitch of a thing prose is! It is never finished, there is always something to be done over. "-Gustave Flaubert, in a letter to Louise Colet The Selected Letters of Gustave Flaubert (1953)
- "He's my bitch, and when he says my name, we just sell that many more records. "-David Lee Roth, talking about Sammy Hagar Everybody Wants Some: The Van Halen Saga (2007)
- "I liked the idea of having me a kept senator. You might say he's my bitch. "-Stanford Diehl Angel in the Front Room, Devil Out Back (2001)
- "Sometimes you just have to stop and bitch about the roses. "-Man to woman, in a cartoon by Christopher Weyant The New Yorker (December 20, 2004)
Words nearby bitch
Example sentences from the Web for bitch
The teens also taunted the mother, who was wearing a turban, calling her a “Bitch with facial hair.”
BITCH IMMA STILL TURN UP… IMMA HAVE U NI**AS WIT NIGHTMARES…BOSS KIRAH LIVES TOOKAVILLE.
According to their correspondence, Steenkamp objected to him playing "Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe" on the car radio earlier that day.
Fox News producers nicknamed the Palins “The Bitch” and “The Eskimo.”Speed Read: 25 Extraordinary Roger Ailes Revelations From ‘The Loudest Voice in the Room’|Lloyd Grove|January 14, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Videos from the venue circulated online showed a disgruntled crowd crying "Bitch!"
The Wolf stay'd till he had almost loaded again, but the Bitch making a great Noise, at last left us and went aside.A New Voyage to Carolina|John Lawson
Bitch, ram, buck and sow went the same way, and there was a day when even mare was prohibited.The American Language|Henry L. Mencken