- a herring cured by being salted and briefly smoked and dried.
- a mackerel similarly cured.
- a freshwater cisco, Coregonus hoyi, found in the Great Lakes.
Origin of bloater
Related Words for bloateroversize, bag, balloon, belly, bilge, billow, bloat, blob, dilate, distend, enlarge, expand, extrude, jut, massive, overhang, poke, pouch, protrude, protuberate
Examples from the Web for bloater
Historical Examples of bloater
The bloater was left to waste its sweetness on the morning air.The Nebuly Coat
John Meade Falkner
Wirtoo,” observed the Bloater, sententiously, “is its own reward.
But the Bloater and Little Jim were not thus to be got rid of.
Here the Bloater laid his hand on his heart and made a courtly bow.
The Bloater cut the cord that bound Phil Sparks, and darted from the room.
- a herring, or sometimes a mackerel, that has been salted in brine, smoked, and cured
- British slang a fat or greedy person