Words nearby blueing
Definition for blueing (2 of 3)
- the sky.
- the sea.
- the remote distance: They've vanished into the blue somewhere.
adjective, blu·er, blu·est.
verb (used with object), blued, blu·ing or blue·ing.
verb (used without object), blued, blu·ing or blue·ing.
Origin of blue
SYNONYMS FOR blue
ANTONYMS FOR blue
OTHER WORDS FROM blueblue·ly, adverbblue·ness, nounhalf-blue, adjectiveun·blued, adjective
WORDS THAT MAY BE CONFUSED WITH blueblew blue
Definition for blueing (3 of 3)
Example sentences from the Web for blueing
We don't even have to rub clothes up here the way you have to in other places; and we never put in a pinch of blueing.Alaska|Ella Higginson
The man who invented a 21-inch collar ought to be forced to suck boiling starch through the neck of a Blueing Bottle!Fairy Prince and Other Stories|Eleanor Hallowell Abbott
Some of the blueing had gotten on his nose and refused to come off.The Putnam Hall Rebellion|Arthur M. Winfield
Oh, why didn't I tell Wiggy to bring me some blueing from the store?Uncle Wiggily in the Woods|Howard R. Garis
When you take them from the grass rinse them twice in a plenty of water, the last time with blueing in it.The Young Housekeeper's Friend|Mrs. (Mary Hooker) Cornelius
British Dictionary definitions for blueing (1 of 3)
British Dictionary definitions for blueing (2 of 3)
- a sportsperson who represents or has represented Oxford or Cambridge University and has the right to wear the university colour (dark blue for Oxford, light blue for Cambridge)an Oxford blue
- the honour of so representing one's university
adjective bluer or bluest
verb blues, blueing, bluing or blued
Derived forms of bluebluely, adverbblueness, noun
Word Origin for blue
British Dictionary definitions for blueing (3 of 3)
Idioms and Phrases with blueing
In addition to the idioms beginning with blue
- blue funk, in a
- blue in the face
- between a rock and a hard place (devil and deep blue sea)
- black and blue
- bolt from the blue
- have the blues
- into thin air (the blue)
- like greased lightning (a blue streak)
- once in a blue moon
- out of a clear blue sky
- talk one's arm off (a blue streak
- until blue in the face)