- a puritanical person; prude.
- (initial capital letter) Also Blue Nose. Canadian. an inhabitant of the Maritime Provinces, especially of Nova Scotia.
- Nautical Slang.
- a sailing vessel of Nova Scotia.
- a seaman on such a vessel.
Origin of bluenose
Related Words for bluenosedemure, spruce, tidy, correct, uncluttered, Victorian, ceremonial, ceremonious, choosy, cleanly, conventional, dapper, decorous, fastidious, formal, genteel, good, goody-goody, nice, orderly
Examples from the Web for bluenose
Historical Examples of bluenose
In a flash the Bluenose had him naped, slung, and flying across the rail.
Our Bluenose mate now thinks he can get more work from his canvas.
This hovel belonged jointly to old Jeph and Captain Bluenose.
It was just as Bluenose concluded this speech that the young ladies entered the room.
The skipper of the “Butterfly” was a friend of Bluenose, and knew Tommy.
- US slang a puritanical or prudish person
- (often capital) informal a native or inhabitant of Nova Scotia