- Also bob·tailed. having a bobtail.
- cut short; docked; cropped.
- shorter or briefer than usual; abbreviated: Several legislative items must be dropped from the current bobtail session of Congress.
Origin of bobtail
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for bobtail
But Bobtail did not laugh, for Monkey was a friend, and a brother, in the generic sense.
He asked a thousand questions which Bobtail could not answer, and a thousand more which he did answer.
Then Bobtail said he had a letter for you, and I told him to put it on your desk.
Bobtail did not like to say anything about the boxes before the other gentleman; so he did not allude to them.
"I don't run away from anything of this sort," replied Bobtail, proudly.
- a docked or diminutive tail
- an animal with such a tail
- having the tail cut short
- to dock the tail of
- to cut short; curtail
C16: from bob ² + tail 1
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012