- Chiefly Scot. pleasing to the eye; handsome; pretty.
- British Dialect.
- (of people) healthy, sweet, and lively.
- (of places) placid; tranquil.
- pleasing; agreeable; good.
- British Dialect. pleasingly; agreeably; very well.
- Scot. and North England Archaic. a pretty girl or young woman.
Origin of bonny
- a female given name: from the Latin word meaning “good.”
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Related Wordsblithe, buxom, cheerful, chubby, comely, fair, fine, gay, handsome, healthy, merry, plump, pretty, ravishing, sportive, strong
Examples from the Web for bonny
Bonny Island in Nigeria and St. Michael's in Maryland had much in common in colonial times.Nigeria's Hunt for Dick Cheney
December 4, 2010
Here be lilies in the cheeks, and not roses such as befit a bonny bride.The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood
Naething but a bonny wee bairnie, whause mither has tint it!Salted With Fire
It's no possible he's ever seen the bonny man as I hae seen him!'
The earth-house had no longer any attraction for Steenie: the bonny man was not there; he was risen!
And a scraichin fear grippit me, 'at I was turnin fause to the bonny man.
- Scot and Northern English dialect beautiful or handsomea bonny lass
- merry or livelya bonny family
- good or finea bonny house
- (esp of babies) plump
- Scot and Northern English dialect considerable; to be reckoned withcost a bonny penny
- informal agreeably or wellto speak bonny
C15: of uncertain origin; perhaps from Old French bon good, from Latin bonus
- Bight of Bonny a wide bay at the E end of the Gulf of Guinea off the coasts of Nigeria and CameroonFormer name (until 1975): Bight of Biafra
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for bonny
1540s, of unknown origin, apparently from Old French bon, bone "good" (see bon).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper