- on or near a border or boundary.
- uncertain; indeterminate; debatable: not an alcoholic, but a borderline case.
- not quite meeting accepted, expected, or average standards.
- approaching bad taste or obscenity: He made several borderline remarks that offended them.
- a person suffering from borderline personality.
Origin of borderline
Synonyms for borderlineSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for borderlinemarginal, open, ambiguous, ambivalent, doubtful, equivocal, indecisive, indefinite, indeterminate, problematic, uncertain, unclear, undecided, unsettled, dubitable
Examples from the Web for borderline
Contemporary Examples of borderline
Vasquez, who has borderline ID, was exonerated in 1989, four years after his conviction.How the U.S. Justice System Screws Prisoners with Disabilities
December 16, 2014
Family and friends describe her as highly dedicated to her job, if not borderline workaholic.The Mystery Death Of A Female Firefighter
December 13, 2014
The pair carried on their “work” relationship as borderline transients.The Navy ‘Hero’ Who Pimped an HIV-Positive Teen
December 11, 2014
Their relationships with each other range from conciliatory to borderline antagonistic.Welcome to Assadville, USA
November 11, 2014
Their borderline baseline distaste for a person they did not know had become a sport, and the off season was finally over.Do We Still Hate Anne Hathaway?
November 5, 2014
Historical Examples of borderline
It was so poignant a sensation that it crossed the borderline into pain.The Ideal
Stanley Grauman Weinbaum
Between prescience and imagination the borderline is ill defined.The Orchard of Tears
Why had she ventured back on to the borderline of this life that had once been hers?To Love
The old man was upon that borderline between the living and the dead.The Lone Ranger Rides
Going from Stirling to Crieff we crossed the borderline of the Highlands.The Heather-Moon
C. N. Williamson and A. M. Williamson
- a border; dividing line; line of demarcation
- an indeterminate position between two conditions or qualitiesthe borderline between friendship and love
- on the edge of one category and verging on anothera borderline failure in the exam