Bourdon-tube gauge

[ boo r-dn toob, -tyoob, bawr-, bohr-, boo r-dawn- ]
/ ˈbʊər dn ˌtub, -ˌtyub, ˈbɔr-, ˈboʊr-, bʊərˈdɔ̃- /

noun Chemistry.

an instrument for measuring the pressure of gases or liquids, consisting of a semicircular or coiled, flexible metal tube attached to a gauge that records the degree to which the tube is straightened by the pressure of the gas or liquid inside.

Origin of Bourdon-tube gauge

1900–05; named after E. Bourdon, 19th-century French inventor Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2020