verb (used with object)
Words nearby brick
Idioms for brick
- to walk the streets, especially as an unemployed or homeless person.
- to go on strike: With contract talks stalled, workers are threatening to hit the bricks.
- to plan or act on a false premise or unrealistic basis.
- to create something that will not last: To form governments without the consent of the people is to make bricks without straw.
- to perform a task despite the lack of necessary materials.
Origin of brick
OTHER WORDS FROM brickbrick·like, brick·ish, adjectiveun·bricked, adjective
Examples from the Web for brick
It was a brick wall that we turned into the on-ramp of a highway.Coffee Talk with Fred Armisen: On ‘Portlandia,’ Meeting Obama, and Taylor Swift’s Greatness|Marlow Stern|January 7, 2015|DAILY BEAST
Once a cadet dropped a brick from a third-story barracks window that barely missed Jackson.
Brooklyn is brick walls, little shops and industrial decoration.
And in Italy, the 16th-century body of an old woman was dug up in 2006 with a brick in her mouth.
They use autoclaves, which work like pressure cookers, instead of brick ovens.
About this time a brick came through the window with a splintering crash, and gave me a considerable of a jolt in the back.Sketches New and Old, Complete|Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens)
The slight noise in that quiet room sounded to Barney's ears like the fall of a brick wall.The Mad King|Edgar Rice Burroughs
In addition, a brick structure, 46 by 30 ft., provided with a 60-ft.
And Hardwick is a brick; a really true, honest-hearted fellow.A Son of Perdition|Fergus Hume
At one time it brought up in the mud a small stone half the size of an almond; and at another a fragment as large as a brick.The Story of the Atlantic Telegraph|Henry M. (Henry Martyn) Field
British Dictionary definitions for brick
- a rectangular block of clay mixed with sand and fired in a kiln or baked by the sun, used in building construction
- (as modifier)a brick house
Word Origin for brick
Idioms and Phrases with brick
In addition to the idioms beginning with brick
- bricks and mortar
- bricks shy of a load
- drop a brick
- hit the bricks
- like a cat on a hot brick
- like a ton of bricks
- make bricks without straw
- run into a stone (brick) wall