- to bring (one's own liquor) to a restaurant or club, especially one that has no liquor license.
- to bring (one's lunch) to work or elsewhere, usually in a small brown paper bag.
- to carry one's lunch in a brown paper bag.
- brought to work, usually in a small brown paper bag: a brown-bag lunch.
- brown-bag it, to bring one's lunch to work or elsewhere, especially in a brown paper bag.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a bag made of brown paper, often used for carrying a packed lunch or alcohol
- to take a packed lunch in a brown bag
- to carry alcohol in a brown bag
Word Origin and History for brown bag
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper