- to force one's way into; crash: to bum-rush a rap concert.
Origin of bum-rush
- forcible and swift ejection from a place: When they began to cause a disturbance, they were given the bum's rush.
- any rude or abrupt dismissal: He gave the pesky salesman the bum's rush.
Origin of bum's rush
Related Words for bum-rushbounce, chuck, disdain, eviction, push, riddance, scorn, culling, heave-ho, shakeout
- forcible ejection, as from a gathering
- rapid dismissal, as of an idea
Forcible ejection, abrupt dismissal. For example, When Henry started shouting, the bouncer gave him the bum's rush, or Within hours of being fired, Alice was given the bum's rush. This idiom uses bum in the sense of “a vagrant or tramp.” [Slang; early 1900s]