- any of several palms, especially those of the genus Euterpe, having terminal leaf buds that are eaten as a vegetable or in salads.
- cabbage tree(def 2).
Origin of cabbage palm
Examples from the Web for cabbage palm
Historical Examples of cabbage palm
Just outside the hummock was a cabbage-palm, which, as I have said, abounds in Florida.In the Wilds of Florida
Here was also seen the cabbage-palm twenty feet high, imparting a marked tropical aspect to this cool region.Under the Southern Cross
Maturin M. Ballou
A stew of the gopher and the terminal buds of the cabbage-palm is a favorite Florida dish.
Before long they saw in the distance the beautiful plume-like foliage of a cabbage-palm outlined against the sky.The Inca Emerald
Had there been no other motive than that to actuate the Jew, Chakra might have rotted under the shadow of the cabbage-palm.The Maroon
- a West Indian palm, Roystonea (or Oreodoxa) oleracea, whose leaf buds are eaten like cabbage
- a similar Brazilian palm, Euterpe oleracea
- an Australian palm tree, Livistona australis
- any of several plants of the genus Cordyline, grown as ornamentals: family Agavaceae