[kahn; French kahn]
- a city and the capital of Calvados, in NW France, SW of Le Havre: many Norman buildings destroyed 1944.
[kal-vuh-dohs, -dos, kal-vuh-dohs, -dos; for 1 also French kal-va-daws]
- a department in NW France. 2198 sq. mi. (5693 sq. km). Capital: Caen.
- (sometimes lowercase) a dry apple brandy made from apple cider in Normandy.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for caen
Caen was pitching and I was crouched behind the dish, catching.Mario Cuomo, Always Moving Us Toward the Light
January 4, 2015
Caen, being so central, was the headquarters for the Zanuck production people.Blood in the Sand: When James Jones Wrote a Grunt’s View of D-Day
November 15, 2014
At the impressive Memorial Museum in Caen there is a darkly lit subterranean section called “France in the Dark Years.”The Deadly Trap Behind D-Day’s Beaches
June 5, 2014
Flying blind, the squad zoomed over what should have been Caen, but no one could tell for sure.
But as the Flying Fortresses arrived over Normandy, gunning toward the bridge at Caen, the cloud cover suddenly thickened.
Like the tomb of William the Conqueror at Caen, it disappeared long ago.Yorkshire Painted And Described
On the death of his father, he succeeded to the timber business at Caen.A Zola Dictionary
J. G. Patterson
And what is doing in Caen that makes you so anxious to see me?The Historical Nights Entertainment, Second Series
It is also a station on the great cross line from Caen to Le Mans.
The name looks like Argences, much nearer to Caen than Argentan.
- an industrial city in NW France. Pop: 113 987 (1999)
- a department of N France in the Basse-Normandie region. Capital: Caen. Pop: 659 893 (2003 est). Area: 5693 sq km (2198 sq miles)
- an apple brandy distilled from cider in this region
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012